Continuing from the third PSSG meeting in which the expert team prepared and a number of core AU Police Guidelines and SOPs in support of the AU Police Policy and the African Standby Force (ASF) Peace Operations. And the consideration of the Maputo work plan on the ASF for 2016-2020 and how the work of the PSSG will be planned in support of the ASF work plan. The fourth PSSG meeting held from the 29th August till the 02nd of September 2016, focused on conducting an intensive technical planning exercise to develop subsidiary instruments for police and policing in the AU Peace Support Operations (PSO). The objectives were thus to continue the development of the guidelines and the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for AU police serving at the headquarters and in the Field Mission. This meeting formed part of an on-going program of the AU PSSG to develop the necessary overarching policy, administrative and operational guidance, aimed at enhancing the effectiveness and efficiency of the AU police through the implementation of consistent and standardised approaches in AU PSO. The following documents were developed as first drafts during this meeting:
- SOP on Deployment of Individual Police Officers (IPOs) for service in AU PSO;
- SOP on Deployment of Formed Police Unit (FPUs) for service in AU PSO;
- Guidelines on Vacancy and Succession Management for Police Professional Staff (PPS) in AUC and Field Missions;
- Guidelines on AU Police Command;
- Table of Equipment (TOE) for IPOs and FPUs in AU PSO.