Communications Consultant for the Training for Peace Programme
Background & Introduction
The Training for Peace (TfP) Programme is a Norwegian funded capacity support programme to the African Union Commission (AUC). It is one of the implementing arms for the peace and security component of the Memorandum of Understanding between the AUC and the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). The Programme consists of three Partners – the African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD), the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) and the Norwegian Institute for Foreign Affairs (NUPI). It also has a Secretariat that coordinates the activities of the Partners with the AUC and other interlocutors as well as ensure an on-the ground presence in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The primary objective of the TfP is to contribute to strengthening the capacity of the AUC to prevent, manage and resolve conflicts and insecurity on the continent through the deployment of effective full spectrum peace operations. In doing this, the TfP works with the Department of Political Affairs and Peace and Security.
The main objectives of the Programme are:
- To support the AUC to improve the knowledge and understanding of the current conflict and security environment in Africa, including identifying, mapping and tracking new threats, challenges and risks; and
- To strengthen the capacity of AUC to respond to these challenges through policies and initiatives, ranging from a set of soft security measures, to an enhanced ability to plan, deploy, manage, monitor and evaluate more effective special political missions and peace support operations.
In order to promote the work of the Programme, and its key achievements to strategic audiences, he TfP is seeking the support of a Communications Specialist, who will be expected to promote greater knowledge among key stakeholders and the general public, on the work of the TfP, within the framework of the Programme’s Communication and Visibility Strategy.
- To review and implement the communication and visibility strategy for the TfP programme.
- Increase awareness of the work and achievements of the TfP
- Promote greater knowledge of the work undertaken by the TfP partners, particularly in the areas of research and policy development.
Scope of work
The overall objectives to be achieved are:
- Increase awareness of the work and achievements of the TfP programme and promote greater knowledge among key stakeholders particularly the African Union, the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the general public.
- To promote the organization's mandate and areas of work under the three clusters, in the framework of TfP’s Communication and Visibility strategy
- To foster greater information and knowledge exchange with key stakeholders, development partners, NGOs and Civil Society within the governance, peace and security community of practice.
The consultant will carry out the following activities with guidance from the Coordinator of the Secretariat of the TfP and designated Communications Focal persons of the Training for Peace Partners as appropriate:
Provide strategic communication support to the Training for Peace secretariat on an ongoing basis. Develop an annual implementation plan for the TfP Communications and Visibility Strategy. This will include delivering communication products for all digital and social media platforms.
Section 1 - Strategic communication support
- Think Piece support and development
- Newsletter support and development
- Event support
- Social media support
- Support to development of AU knowledge products
|Estimated LOE per month
Video interviews, prep and script for social media post
|Support to development of AU knowledge products
Section 2 - Website and social media management
- Support visual communication and multi-media production
- Design graphics for website and social media
Section 3 - Ad hoc communication pieces
- Policy briefs
- Edit, layout, proofread and social media package
- Annual reports
Expected Output – Key Performance Indicators
- Annual implementation Plan for the TfP for July 2023 -July 2024 (in line with the TfP Communication and Visibility Strategy).
- Curate strategic communication events on governance, peace and security.
- Relevant, consistent social media presence that promotes the work of the TfP programme
- Technical support to Partners on developing relevant content for the TfP brand
- Technical and promotional materials edited
- Support to the African Union’s Department of Political Affairs in reviewing and editing relevant knowledge outputs.
- A University Degree in Communications, Journalism or equivalent.
- Previous employment experience (minimum 3 years) in communication, journalism, print media, research documentation and report writing.
- Technical Competences
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Excellent in written and verbal communication .
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form
- Competent in the use of computer and internet information software, use of desktop publishing software
If you feel this position is for you, email your application to email@example.com